Originally published: November 2016 / Last updated: March 2018
Life is too short to spend your career stuck wasting away at a boring accounting job. Trust me, I've been there a few times.
While I was in search of more autonomy and a better lifestyle, working in a cubicle was getting in the way of that. That all changed when I created a master plan to leave my office accounting job and got the opportunity to work as a remote freelance accountant. Finally, I could be the location independent accountant I dreamed about being, working 100% online from anywhere in the world.
Ever since I was able to achieve my ideal lifestyle, I've been advocating for other accountants to break the shackles of their accounting jobs and gain more freedom. I even shared my story on the Abacus podcast, how I was able to ditch the 9-5 and travel the world, all while being able to work remotely. I was lucky to make my escape, however, other accountants are frustrated with their jobs and even leaving the accounting profession altogether.
I polled members of the Lifestyle Accountants community about what action they plan on achieving within the next 3-6 months, and here are the results:
You're certainly not alone on your search for a remote accounting job! Here are best ways to find them
1) The Remote Accounting Jobs Board
My latest project has been building a niche job board exclusively for remote accounting jobs.
With the Remote Accounting Jobs board you can easily search for remote accounting jobs and not even have to bother with entering a location.
How to stay Updated about new job postings:
If you are looking for a remote accounting job, then you'll want to be one of the very first to know when a new job is posted:
- Sign up for job alerts via email at jobs.lifestyleaccountant.com. You can schedule email alerts to be delivered daily, weekly, monthly and opt-out anytime. Choose the frequency that's most ideal for you.
- Follow 'Remote Jobs Feed' topic directly in the Lifestyle Accountants Community.You can adjust your notifications to get mobile and/or email alerts.
- Subscribe to the RSS feed for jobs to a feed reader with this feed link: https://jobs.lifestyleaccountant.com/jobs.atom. I personally use Feedly (it's free!) to keep track of all the blogs and feeds I follow.
- Follow Lifestyle Accountant on Twitter @LifestyleAcct where new jobs will be immediately posted.
These are the best ways to stay up-to-date on new job postings. Pick the best channel for you to stay updated.
2) 50+ Best Sites for Finding Remote Accounting & Tax Opportunities in 2018
If you can't find your perfect remote accounting job on our job board, I've compiled a database of 50+ best sites to find even more remote accounting jobs - saving you hours of time and energy.
The Remote Accounting & Tax Opportunities database includes the best websites (without the scams) I could find for each of the following categories:
- Accounting & Tax Firms (100% and Partial Remote): It's hard to tell which accounting and tax firms are remote or offer work from home opportunities. I've searched all over to find the firms known to be fully remote or offer partial remote opportunities.
- Remote Employers of accountants: If you don't want to work at a remote accounting or tax firm, this list is for you. These include startups, established remote companies and consulting firms. While these companies will likely have less accountants on staff compared to accounting firms, these are companies that have exciting growth potential in different industries.
- Freelance Opportunities for remote accountants: If you are a more established accountant or possess the CPA, you'll be more in demand and can have your pick of opportunities. These companies hiring freelance accountants will allow you to pick the projects that appeal to you most.
Please note: your experience browsing this list will look a lot better if you're not on mobile.
3) From members in the Lifestyle Accountants community
If you are somebody that’s interested in investing in your career and network right now, be sure to check out the Lifestyle Accountants community (it's free!). Join remote workers, freelancers, side-hustlers, entrepreneurs, and:
- Surround Yourself With a Supportive Community - Connect with and learn from likeminded accountants from around the world
- Gain Inspiration & Ideas - Spark your next career or business breakthrough
- Access Exclusive Resources & Member-Only Content - Go remote faster with our tools, guides, articles and events
- Ask Questions, Polls, & Chat With Members - Get advice or feedback from the group
Here's what happened after one of our amazing members joined the community:
"I found the perfect job for me by being a member of the Lifestyle Accountants community. It's great to collaborate with other modern day accountants who are embracing technology and creating a life on their own terms."
- Sarah Bowden
Seriously, the community is great to stay up to date on remote accounting jobs and learn how to become the best candidate.
4) Check out the top questions about working remotely as an accountant from our community
Here are the top questions from the Lifestyle Accountants community about starting out going remote and working remotely:
- What approach have you previously taken or are currently using when applying for remote accounting/tax jobs?
- What software do you recommend before I start getting remote jobs?
- What freelance platform have you primarily used to find work?
- What was your ‘ah-ha’ moment when you decided to take a more non-traditional path in accounting?
- How much time is reasonable to give notice to your old tax season job that you accepted a full time flexible, remote dream job?
- Is it possible to work 2 separate full-time jobs remotely?
- Where/how did you find your last job?
- What action best describes what you're working on achieving within the next 3-6 months?
- Where you do primarily work from?
- What's the most important factor for you wanting to work remotely?
- Does anyone currently work for a remote accounting firm?
- What laptop would you recommend to be robust enough to run multiple desktop softwares and cloud softwares simultaneously?
- Has anyone used FlexJobs.com subscription service to find remote work?
- Do you know of any courses that exist that teach you how to get clients and start a business on the side while still working?
- What is it like to partner with Accodex?
- Has anyone had experience starting their freelance accounting venture while also working full time at an accounting firm? Any advice?
- Has anyone here has found success using LinkedIn to find clients?
- Has anyone here used crowdsourcing/bidding platforms such as UpWork or Thumbtack to generate new business and if so, what has been your experience with them?
- What do you wish everyone knew about how you work?
- What is your ideal work schedule and why?
- What has been the most impactful or inspiring book/resource for you this year?
- What day of the week do you look forward to the most?
- If you could correct one widely held belief about accountants in particular and the industry in general, what would it be?
- What % of your week is spent actively exploring new professional opportunities?
- What social media channel do you plan on using the most for new business/career opportunities in 2018?
- What is everyone doing to relax and decompress this busy season?
- What do you dislike most, what annoys you the most, or what are your biggest frustrations with the accounting profession?