Remote Accountants Q&A
Ask a remote accounting question or answer others' in our community Q&A
Here are the top questions from the Lifestyle Accountants community about starting out going remote, working remotely, going self-employed, and remote #accountantlife.
💻 Going Remote as an Accountant
- What approach have you previously taken or are currently using when applying for remote accounting/tax jobs?
- What software do you recommend before I start getting remote jobs?
- What freelance platform have you primarily used to find work?
- What was your ‘ah-ha’ moment when you decided to take a more non-traditional path in accounting?
- How much time is reasonable to give notice to your old tax season job that you accepted a full time flexible, remote dream job?
- Is it possible to work 2 separate full-time jobs remotely?
- Where/how did you find your last job?
- What action best describes what you're working on achieving within the next 3-6 months?
🏝 Working Remotely as An Accountant
- Where you do primarily work from?
- What's the most important factor for you wanting to work remotely?
- Does anyone currently work for a remote accounting firm?
- What laptop would you recommend to be robust enough to run multiple desktop softwares and cloud softwares simultaneously?
- Has anyone used FlexJobs.com subscription service to find remote work?
- Controllers and accounting managers working in industry: Where do you go to meet up & share knowledge with your peers online? (Other than here)
🚀 Building a Remote Accounting Business
- For those accountants who are self-employed, what type of work do you enjoy most and what percentage of your work is of that type?
- What are the characteristics of your ideal client?
- Which accounting software do you use for your business and why?
- What tax preparation software do you recommend for a startup tax service?
- What file sharing software do you use and what do you like about and what would do you wish it would do that it doesn’t?
- I’m not a CPA. Do you think that will have a huge negative impact on starting up a remote accounting practice?
- Do you know of any courses that exist that teach you how to get clients and start a business on the side while still working?
- Are you taking advantage of the cryptocurrency craze by adding a niche or have existing services?
- I’d like to start a podcast serving my niche. Any tips on software/hardware? I’d like it to be as cost effective as possible.
- Does anyone have any suggestions on the best workflow management software's available? Best ways to keep competing/conflicting projects for multiple clients in check?
- What is it like to partner with Accodex?
- How do you bill?
- Has anyone had experience starting their freelance accounting venture while also working full time at an accounting firm? Any advice?
- Has anyone here has found success using LinkedIn to find clients?
- Has anyone here used crowdsourcing/bidding platforms such as UpWork or Thumbtack to generate new business and if so, what has been your experience with them?
🔋 Remote #AccountantLife
- What do you wish everyone knew about how you work?
- What is your ideal work schedule and why?
- In one word, how would you describe how you want your 2018 to be?
- What has been the most impactful or inspiring book/resource for you this year?
- What day of the week do you look forward to the most?
- If you could correct one widely held belief about accountants in particular and the industry in general, what would it be?
- What % of your week is spent actively exploring new professional opportunities?
- What social media channel do you plan on using the most for new business/career opportunities in 2018?
- What is everyone doing to relax and decompress this busy season?
- What do you dislike most, what annoys you the most, or what are your biggest frustrations with the accounting profession?