When I was first starting my journey to work remotely a few years ago, I had A TON of questions like "where do I even start?".
It was through a lot of research, trial and error, and figuring everything out mostly on my own.
Back then, I didn't have access to a community of other like-minded accountants already working remotely or aspiring to work remotely. So I created one!
As I grow the Lifestyle Accountants community, one thing is clear: remote work is the future of our profession.
The best thing you can do is prepare yourself for this evolution of the accounting profession, now. And what better way to connect with and learn from accountants already working remotely or going through the same challenges as yourself?
If you have questions about working remotely, you're not alone. Chances are someone else does too!
When you are first accepted into Lifestyle Accountants community, you'll be welcomed with our icebreaker question, where over 100 other members have shared their responses:
That's just the start. We have dozens of questions already submitted by our members that can help you get started. Join our community today!
If you're not yet a member, click the big button below to request an invite to our private community. You'll want to do this first so you can click the links to the questions below to see our member responses.
Here are the top questions from the Lifestyle Accountants community about starting out going remote, working remotely, going self-employed, and remote #accountantlife:
💻 Going Remote as an Accountant
- What approach have you previously taken or are currently using when applying for remote accounting/tax jobs?
- What software do you recommend before I start getting remote jobs?
- What freelance platform have you primarily used to find work?
- What was your ‘ah-ha’ moment when you decided to take a more non-traditional path in accounting?
- How much time is reasonable to give notice to your old tax season job that you accepted a full time flexible, remote dream job?
- Is it possible to work 2 separate full-time jobs remotely?
- Where/how did you find your last job?
- What action best describes what you're working on achieving within the next 3-6 months?
🏝 Working Remotely as An Accountant
- Where you do primarily work from?
- What's the most important factor for you wanting to work remotely?
- Does anyone currently work for a remote accounting firm?
- What laptop would you recommend to be robust enough to run multiple desktop softwares and cloud softwares simultaneously?
- Has anyone used FlexJobs.com subscription service to find remote work?
- Controllers and accounting managers working in industry: Where do you go to meet up & share knowledge with your peers online? (Other than here)
🚀 Building a Remote Accounting Business
- For those accountants who are self-employed, what type of work do you enjoy most and what percentage of your work is of that type?
- What are the characteristics of your ideal client?
- Which accounting software do you use for your business and why?
- What tax preparation software do you recommend for a startup tax service?
- What file sharing software do you use and what do you like about and what would do you wish it would do that it doesn’t?
- I’m not a CPA. Do you think that will have a huge negative impact on starting up a remote accounting practice?
- Do you know of any courses that exist that teach you how to get clients and start a business on the side while still working?
- Are you taking advantage of the cryptocurrency craze by adding a niche or have existing services?
- I’d like to start a podcast serving my niche. Any tips on software/hardware? I’d like it to be as cost effective as possible.
- Does anyone have any suggestions on the best workflow management software's available? Best ways to keep competing/conflicting projects for multiple clients in check?
- What is it like to partner with Accodex?
- How do you bill?
- Has anyone had experience starting their freelance accounting venture while also working full time at an accounting firm? Any advice?
- Has anyone here has found success using LinkedIn to find clients?
- Has anyone here used crowdsourcing/bidding platforms such as UpWork or Thumbtack to generate new business and if so, what has been your experience with them?
🔋 Remote #AccountantLife
- What do you wish everyone knew about how you work?
- What is your ideal work schedule and why?
- In one word, how would you describe how you want your 2018 to be?
- What has been the most impactful or inspiring book/resource for you this year?
- What day of the week do you look forward to the most?
- If you could correct one widely held belief about accountants in particular and the industry in general, what would it be?
- What % of your week is spent actively exploring new professional opportunities?
- What social media channel do you plan on using the most for new business/career opportunities in 2018?
- What is everyone doing to relax and decompress this busy season?
- What do you dislike most, what annoys you the most, or what are your biggest frustrations with the accounting profession?
As our community grows and more questions get asked, I will be sure to add them to our growing list here.
What questions do you have about working remotely as an accountant?
Connect with 375+ remote accountants (and aspiring ones!) and ask away.